Environmental awareness is best acquired through live contact with the natural world around us. This section focuses on meaningful projects that students can work on to get a better understanding of our environment.
Projects outlined here are of three types
- Descriptive - where students collect data and record it systematically. This is a useful exercise for students to understand some issues as a first step.
- Scientific - Specific problems are tested scientifically by relating them to a variety of scientific hypotheses. An understanding of the rationale, or the science behind each hypothesis, aims to build scientific temper amongst the student community.These projects are presented in the form of a testable hypothesis, accompanied by an explanation of the rationale and a statement of the methodology.
- Implementation of solutions - as a follow up to the descriptive and scientific projects, some
projects give students an idea of how they can implement a solution.
Some of these projects have been suggested by water experts while others are projects that students have worked on.
If you have worked on any water project that you would like to share with students across the country (and the world), send it to us at schools.indiawaterportal.org.
Before you start on the project, take a look at the guidelines for doing a good project.Also read tips on writing a good project report , tips on poster presentation and oral presentation.
Drinking water quality standards and How to test water quality in your own school lab are also provided as additional reference documents.
Projects suggested by experts:
- Fish diversity in relation to pollution
- Conservation of soil moisture
- Water for the differently abled
- Reducing evaporation losses from water bodies
- Bioassay Method for Detecting Toxic Materials in Water
- Determination Of Quality Of Drinking Water
- Efficient Water Lifting Devices
- Use of Solar Heat for Safe Drinking Water
- Biological Alternatives to Chemical Pollutants at Home
- Cost Of Private Water Supply
- Germicidal Properties of Copper / Silver or similar Agent
- How to make Drinking Water Microbiologically Safe?
- Just How Hard is Our Water?
- Low Cost Drip Irrigation for Rural and Urban Horticulture
- Making Natural Holi Colours
- Standard Method for Testing Microbiological Safety of Drinking Water
- User of Saline Water for Crop Production